Tuesday 8th July
Present: Margaret Ormonde,
Diana Hartrup, Bill Harper, Barry Prior, Kate Manton, Jill Verran,
Cathi Edwards, Vera Bodman
1. Apologies Carol Sutton, Tara Taylor
2. Minutes of the last meeting (Wednesday
13th May 2008) were
3. Matters arising:
(a) MO undertaking planning role
for the time being as no-one has volunteered as yet; BP offered to
MO gets list from RBC once a week which she scans for local interest:
so far only about one per month and small scale. MO contacts members
who live close to the planned development. MO/BP met with CADRA (Ruth
Perkins/Helen Lambert) re planning which was very helpful.
of village sign: BH to action.
(c) Write-ups of roles – 3 in,
MO encouraged others to complete.
25th Anniversary Celebrations
KM reported on sub-committee
meeting held 12th June. Committee agreed that we could offer to assist
Emmer Green School with purchase of display boards (KM). JV to approach
cake maker. KM to write to invite mayor to the event. BH has secured
services of Red Cross first-aider. Committee also agreed that we
should invite local charities to promote activities or fund-raise:
BP to action. MO asked to design and produce publicity material.
VB/MO visited The Hill school on 7th July; they
talked to the Head and were shown around by 2 year 6 girls. MO offered
EGRA help with publicising events at the school. Also consider paying
for bird feeders, or similar for new wildlife area at the school.
The school has bought 2 books with the £25.00 (one on the history
of Reading and one on football). MO also promised to ask at next
NAG meeting (9th July) why police visits to the school have stopped.
Highdown book awards – BH attending school 17th July. MO to
chase up our payment to Highdown.
Agreed to focus on 80 houses in Highdown Hill Road
area; JV to ask for local volunteers from the existing membership.
6 collected, 6 deleted because gone away. JV asked committee
members still to chase to do so.
Emmer Green School safety
CE informed the committee that
RBC has agreed to pay for a crossing superintendent (by school gates)
although there are still other safety issues; CE/BP to raise road
safety issues at NAG meeting. CE has further meeting Friday 11th
Printed, and distributed as planned by
Visit to Houses of Parliament
All places now taken, waiting
St Barnabas Garden Party
CS/CE attended, fete well attended.
Collected 4 new subs on the day with 4 taking forms for later. MO
proposed £10 donation to the church (agreed) as game abandoned
due to windy weather.
Richard Bennett (chair of Reading Civic Society) will
speak. BH to get dates for hall availability.
4. Treasurer’s Report
BH informed the committee of changes to banking arrangements as Nationwide
closing the type of account we use. JV suggested that BH look into
Post Office accounts, otherwise will transfer to other type of account
Nationwide are offering. Once BH has decided, he will get MO signed
up as 3rd signature on the account.
5. Feedback from Committees
NAG (Neighbourhood Action Group) Meeting.
CE/BP attended last meeting; nothing to report re Emmer Green other
than school safety (see above). CE/BP attending next meeting July
9th with instructions from committee to resist the idea of amalgamating
Emmer Green NAG with Amersham Road NAG. There also had been reports
from members on anti-social behaviour at the shops, which would also
be a topic of discussion.
VB attended 2nd July and reported that there are changes
to personnel. With Insp Penny Mackenzie replacing Insp Graham Dix.
Police reported problems in various open spaces and plans to create
drinking restriction zones.
TT and MO to attend AGM on 16th July
Age Concern 50++
VB reported that according to the police, crime
is up in Emmer Green. They are targeting known criminals especially
those involved in drugs. Also, Tai Chi class starting on Weds 10-12.00,
Over 50’s conference 28th Aug at South Reading Leisure Centre.
Talk from Fire Service: over 50’s can get RBFRS to fit smoke
alarms for free and check out their house for fire risk.
St Benets Way. Planning committee rejected proposals, developer has
appealed. Proposal to demolish 1 Rosehill Pak and replace with flats – due
to come before planning committee on 21st July.
7. Any other business
BP reported back. Key points:
abandon 1 way IDR; all local authorities should work together to
transport authority and apply for state aid; park and ride in each
quadrant; selective road pricing; development of Reading station
should discourage access by private cars; cycling to be encouraged
(although not believed it will make much difference to congestion);
enforce parking and yellow box rules. BP requested MO to circulate
email he had sent to her.
Housing/Joint Environment Committee
BP attended 2nd
June. Labour chairs all the committees still with other parties chairing
scrutinising committees. Kieran Roughan (senior planner) spoke: Reading
to get 611 houses per year for the next 10 years, to be regional
hub. S Reading seen as key area for development, with N Reading not
seen as a planning hotspot. BP offered to go to next meeting if available.
Jefferson Close Footpath
No definite news.
Bugs Bottom DVD
David Miles has video of 1987 protest
march which Clive Ormonde has converted to DVD for lending to members.
Tennis Courts expansion
Some of the car park has
been taken. Planning permission for this since 2003 (lasts for 5
years) but no
record in EGRA minutes of this being discussed. Lottery Grant for
2 additional courts and a club house.
BP offered to store information as
back-up for Bob Cruickshank.
Caversham Festival 13th Sept
Committee agreed that
EGRA would not participate as too far outside area.
JV requested help in maintaining. BP suggested
asking member who lives over the shops, otherwise VB and other committee
members to keep an eye on it. JV to invite members.
8. Date and venue of next meeting
Tuesday 30th September at VB
house, 15 The Ridings at 8 pm.