Tuesday 30th September
Present: Margaret Ormonde,
Diana Hartrup, Barry Prior, Kate Manton, Jill Verran,
Cathi Edwards, Vera Bodman
1. Apologies Bill Harper, Carol Sutton, Tara Taylor
2. Minutes of the last meeting (Tuesday
8th July 2008) were
3. Matters arising:
(a) Committee discussed BH report on costs of maintaining sign
and seats; general agreement was that the quotes were too high to
be agreed to at present. Agreed (1) JV to ask Brian if he will repair
loose brick on the base of the sign and (2) to ask the membership
via email if they know of anyone who could undertake the work.
Write-ups of roles – 6 in, MO encouraged others to complete.
25th Anniversary Celebrations
KM resigned from her position as chair of the sub-committee, BP to
take over. KM to hand over as soon as possible. KM reported that
she had secured the services of the Mayor for the event and asked
Tara to approach the children’s entertainer again. BP to check
the contract provided by the school for the hire of the hall. MO
gave a number of options for publicity and asked for feedback. CE
suggested we get pens printed with our name and logo; she will check
out costs (c 11p per pen if 500 ordered).
The Police are now resuming visits to the school.
Highdown School book awards
JV noted that there had been misinterpretation of what was meant by “community” in
that the School had interpreted that as the school community whereas the committee
had intended the wider community of Emmer Green. BH to approach the school.
JV had good response from membership to deliver to Highdown Hill
Road area. Only 4 new members resulted.
6 collected, 6 deleted because gone away. JV asked committee
members still to chase to do so.
Emmer Green School safety
Funding and RBC involvement are in place. School will be sending
letter to parents shortly asking for people to apply. RBC will assist
with interviews. St Michael’s in Tilehurst has gone through
this process and it has been successful. A parent at the Hill School
has approached CE for help with setting up similar there. CE will
signpost to the relevant people.
Printed, and distributed as planned by
Visit to Houses of Parliament
Successful day, 17 went. MO has asked 2 people to write something
about the trip for the next newsletter. MO reminded the committee
that the next trip will be to the recycling plant early next year.
New venue required as St Barnabas Hall not available.
CE to investigate using Hill Chapel hall.
JV reported that 5 members
are tidying up the notice board on a rota.
Rosehill development was permitted.
4. Treasurer’s Report
5. Feedback from Committees
NAG (Neighbourhood Action Group) Meeting.
27th August, BP and CE attended and were the only ‘lay’ people
present. New sergeant in place for the area. Increase in burglaries
in Emmer Green reported, many gaining access to the property or car
keys through the front letter box. Anti-social behaviour on the fringes
of Emmer Green. Mark Ralph reported that there may be some action
regarding a crossing at Peppard Road/Surley Row. Speed awareness
scheme for 10 days Kiln Road/Caversham Park Road – made a difference
but back to ‘normal’ now that it is gone. Police pointed
out that NAG should have its own secretary. CE looking into publicity
for NAG to raise awareness.
VB attended 25th September. Various bids are in for improved street
lighting including corner Kidmore End Road and Grove Road, decision
is 2 months away. No crime figures were provided. Same issue with
access through front door letter box as noted in NAG meeting.
TT and MO to attend AGM on 16th July
Age Concern 50++
MO called to find out what meetings are coming
up, next one will be early 2009, no date as yet.
Future of Reading’s Housing Meeting – BP attended. 66
people there in total, 31 from RBC. This meeting was looking at the
refurbishment and expansion of Reading’s housing stock. Nothing
planned in this area.
Future of Reading’s Housing Meeting
attended. 66 people there in total, 31 from RBC. This meeting was
looking at the refurbishment and expansion of Reading’s housing
stock. Nothing planned in this area.
6. Any other business
Planned for end November.
Warren & District RA AGM 21st October – MO;
NAG 29th October – BP/CE; Reading 2020 Forum – MO
7. Date and venue of next meeting
Tuesday 18th November at DH house, 39 Kiln Road at 8 pm.